Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Old friends

Mallorie's daddy and big brothers watched her this evening so I could nap a bit. There had been a shift change, and Mallorie's nurse tonight is Chona, who took care of Matthew when he was admitted at 4 months of age with croup. Watching Chona and the other nurses during that stay was what convinced me, as a new nursing school graduate, that I wanted to be a pediatric nurse.

And tonight, Matthew was helping his dad and Chona by measuring out Mallorie's home medications, checking the blood pressure before giving the BP med, changing diapers, helping to feed by tube. What a difference 11 years makes.

It's so neat to have Chona watching over Mallorie. She's one of the smartest and sweetest persons I have ever known.

And I think Ida DID try a scalp IV today! Turned out not to be such a great vein, but if I'm correct, then it might have been another first! Ida was the nurse I was working with on the very memorable day when I started my own first scalp IV, years ago ... because there was a little girl with a HUGE vein staring at us and no good IV sites elsewhere, and Ida told me, very sweetly, to go ahead, if I wanted to try for it, because, "I don't do scalp IV's." Never say never.

2 comments:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Praying for you guys Connie, and I am hoping today is the day Mallorie is feeling like herself again and you will be headed home. And the mention of scalp IV, it almost makes me want to pass out. God bless nurses for the things they do to make such a difference. Never enough recognition for such a demanding job. Kuddos to all of you!! I love you girl and if you need anything, let me know.

Laurie

Anxious AF said...

I love nurses that are my friends! It makes all the difference!