Mallorie is at one of the big children's hospitals in Houston. She tested postive for flu. Not confirmed yet, because only 1 of the 3 flu tests done was positive, but it's a possibility.
What she does not seem to have, but had yesterday, or at least was being considered for:
A fever above 107 degrees. She was hovering between 101 and 102 when we first got in her room this morning, and got tylenol for that.
Seizures, right now. And she's not on any seizure meds, although she definitely had a couple of types of seizures yesterday in the ER at home. But there was that whole 107 temperature thing going on. She is having an EEG done soon (the leads are being put on right now) to make sure there aren't any seizures that you just can't see, but definitely the visible seizures are gone, and without any more seizure meds to cloud the picture.
A shunt problem, by any of the testing done so far. She had hydrocephalus even before birth, and several months after she was born, she had a tube placed into an area inside her brain to drain excess fluid from around her brain down to her belly, where it can be absorbed easily. The neurosurgeons were able to take some fluid out of the shunt (sparing her a needle into her spine) and sent it to the lab for testing, and so that is still pending. But from what they saw on the testing done so far, it doesn't look like the shunt was a problem.
An abnormal heart rhythm. Yesterday in the ER, there was talk about a fast rhythm called SVT, but her heartrate is in a more normal range now.
What she does have:
An beautiful IV in her right arm, found via ultrasound by Bob, IV Guy in Beaumont. And now a 2nd one just put in behind her right knee by Tony, IV Guy out here. No one has even let me cut a lock of her hair off, because they aren't all that interested in her scalp veins. And blood for another blood culture has been drawn from the same spot.
A tube in her throat and a machine to breathe for her. Which is something I thank God for, and wish the whole world had the same access to superb medical care that we have in this country. They are seeing how she does adjusting to different vent settings, to see if they might be able to take out the tube today.
Her feeding tube, so she will be able to easily be fed at some point if they don't decide to go ahead and take her breathing tube out. If they are considering taking her tube out, then they will hold off on feedings, because it's safer to deal with that if the belly is not full. But I love her "g-tube." It's been a blessing so many times since they first put it in.
Breast milk in the freezer at home from some generous, loving, angels. John will go back home and return with some tomorrow, but if she needs some to start feedings today, we'll figure out something. Her nurse just turned down her sedation med, because they are doing some trials with her vent settings, to see if they can wean her off the vent today. She just had a period of apnea and isn't taking big breaths, so I am not sure today will be the day.
Please pray for her to recover quickly from this illness, and to bounce right back to being her same, loving, joyful 3 year old self. Her birthday was the 6th. She has a thing with hospitalizations on or just after her birthdays. The little snot. We love her so much, and I miss cuddling her. And kissing her sweet mouth. And having our family together.
Holiday Sensory Time
1 week ago